mozilla

Mozilla Nederland LogoDe Nederlandse
Mozilla-gemeenschap

Dave Townsend: A new owner for the add-ons manager

Mozilla planet - di, 16/08/2016 - 01:29

I’ve been acting as the owner for the add-ons manager for the past little while and while I have always cared a lot about the add-ons space it is time to formerly pass over the torch. So I was pleased that Rob Helmer was willing to take it over from me.

Rob has been doing some exceptional work on making system add-ons (used as part of the go faster project) more robust and easier for Mozilla to use. He’s also been thinking lot about improvements we can make to the add-ons manager code to make it more friendly to approach.

As my last act I’m updating the suggested reviewers in bugzilla to be him, Andrew Swan (who in his own right has been doing exceptional work on the add-ons manager) and me as a last resort. Please congratulate them and direct any questions you may have about the add-ons manager towards Rob.

Categorieën: Mozilla-nl planet

Mitchell Baker: Increasing Information Flow at Mozilla

Mozilla planet - ma, 15/08/2016 - 22:26

Information flow between leaders and individual contributors is critical to an effective organization. The ability to better understand the needs of the organization, to gather input across different domains, getting other perspectives before we make a decision and change management, help create a clueful and informed organisation.

This quarter we are piloting a number of untypical discussion sessions between leaders and individuals across Mozilla, whereby leaders will engage with participants who are not usually in their domain. There are hypotheses we’d like to test.  One is that cross-team, multiple-level discussion and information flow will: prevent us from being blind-sided, increase our shared understanding, and empower people to participate and lead in productive ways.  A second hypothesis is that there is an appetite for this type of discussion and some templates and structure would make it easier for people to know how to approach it.

We have 9 leaders who have agreed to host a discussion session this quarter, and we’re currently in the process of inviting participants from across the organization. Currently, there are 4 types of discussions we’ve identified that could take place, there are likely more:

  • Pulse (“Taking the Pulse”) – allow a leader to quickly test an idea and/or get insights from the wider community about the current state of Mozilla, or their domain area.
  • Ideation – to generate insights from a targeted and diverse group of participants.
  • Decision – to ask for feedback regarding a decision from a broad group of people beyond the typical domain to ensure they are not blind-sided, and to provide key diverse input.
  • Change Management – creates a shared understanding for a decision already made.

If these sessions prove useful, we may create a useful toolkit for leadership on how to run disperse discussion sessions, and gather input from across Mozilla. And in addition, create a toolkit for individual contributors for understanding and contributing to important topics across Mozilla.

We’ll plan to share more updates next month.

Categorieën: Mozilla-nl planet

Increasing Information Flow at Mozilla

Mitchell Baker - ma, 15/08/2016 - 22:26

Information flow between leaders and individual contributors is critical to an effective organization. The ability to better understand the needs of the organization, to gather input across different domains, getting other perspectives before we make a decision and change management, help create a clueful and informed organisation.

This quarter we are piloting a number of untypical discussion sessions between leaders and individuals across Mozilla, whereby leaders will engage with participants who are not usually in their domain. There are hypotheses we’d like to test.  One is that cross-team, multiple-level discussion and information flow will: prevent us from being blind-sided, increase our shared understanding, and empower people to participate and lead in productive ways.  A second hypothesis is that there is an appetite for this type of discussion and some templates and structure would make it easier for people to know how to approach it.

We have 9 leaders who have agreed to host a discussion session this quarter, and we’re currently in the process of inviting participants from across the organization. Currently, there are 4 types of discussions we’ve identified that could take place, there are likely more:

  • Pulse (“Taking the Pulse”) – allow a leader to quickly test an idea and/or get insights from the wider community about the current state of Mozilla, or their domain area.
  • Ideation – to generate insights from a targeted and diverse group of participants.
  • Decision – to ask for feedback regarding a decision from a broad group of people beyond the typical domain to ensure they are not blind-sided, and to provide key diverse input.
  • Change Management – creates a shared understanding for a decision already made.

If these sessions prove useful, we may create a useful toolkit for leadership on how to run disperse discussion sessions, and gather input from across Mozilla. And in addition, create a toolkit for individual contributors for understanding and contributing to important topics across Mozilla.

We’ll plan to share more updates next month.

Categorieën: Mozilla-nl planet

Mozilla Addons Blog: “Restart Required” Badge on AMO

Mozilla planet - ma, 15/08/2016 - 22:22

When add-ons were first introduced as a way to personalize Firefox, they required a restart of Firefox upon installation. Then came “restartless” extensions, which made the experience of installing an add-on much smoother. Every iteration of extensions APIs since then has similarly supported restartless add-ons, up to WebExtensions.

To indicate that an add-on was restartless, we added “No Restart” badges next to them on addons.mozilla.org (AMO). This helped people see which add-ons would be smoother to install, and encouraged developers to implement them for their own add-ons. However, two things happened recently that prompted us to reverse this badge. Now, rather than using a “No Restart” badge to indicate that an add-on is restartless, we will use a “Restart Required” badge to indicate that an add-on requires a restart.

One reason for this change is because we reached a tipping point: now that restartless add-ons are more common, and the number of WebExtensions add-ons is increasing, there are now more extensions that do not require a restart than those that do.

Another reason is that we encountered an unexpected issue with the recent introduction of multiprocess Firefox. In Firefox 48, multiprocess capability was only enabled for people with no add-ons installed. If you are one of these people and you now install an add-on, you’ll be asked to restart Firefox even if the add-on is restartless. This forced restart will only occur over the next few versions as multiprocess Firefox is gradually rolled out. This is not because of the add-on, but because Firefox needs to turn multiprocess off in order to satisfy the temporary rule that only people without add-ons installed have multiprocess Firefox enabled. So a “No Restart” badge may be confusing to people.

Restartless add-ons becoming the norm is a great milestone and a huge improvement in the add-on experience, and one we couldn’t have reached without all our add-on developers—thank you!

Categorieën: Mozilla-nl planet

Air Mozilla: Mozilla Weekly Project Meeting, 15 Aug 2016

Mozilla planet - ma, 15/08/2016 - 20:00

Mozilla Weekly Project Meeting The Monday Project Meeting

Categorieën: Mozilla-nl planet

Rumbling Edge - Thunderbird: 2015-02-15 Calendar builds

Thunderbird - ma, 16/02/2015 - 08:22

Common (excluding Website bugs)-specific: (36)

  • Fixed: 603933 – outlook 2007 invitation reply wrong sender
  • Fixed: 1009894 – Update internal timezone database from version 2014b to version 2015a
  • Fixed: 1070491 – Today pane/sidebar: Month and year always “Jan 5555″ on startup
  • Fixed: 1070881 – Running xpcshell tests failing because Lightning directory missing from dist/bin/extensions/
  • Fixed: 1083374 – Calendar xpcshell and mozmill tests failing after OS X signing changes
  • Fixed: 1095119 – Remove Promise.defer usage
  • Fixed: 1101175 – Accepting inviations doesn’t work as expected (403 forbidden)
  • Fixed: 1110881 – Google login popup gives no context
  • Fixed: 1116227 – String shims are defined incorrectly
  • Fixed: 1116305 – Lightning 3.3.2 still speaks only English in TB 31.3.
  • Fixed: 1116882 – calRecurrenceRule tries to set a non-numeric BYMONTHDAY rule
  • Fixed: 1117339 – Thunderbird 24 doesn’t support using Promise as a constructor
  • Fixed: 1117340 – Task lists don’t work for calendar entries without a calendar
  • Fixed: 1117341 – Outdated client message shown when using obsolete token
  • Fixed: 1117540 – useDefault not correctly set if there are no default alarms
  • Fixed: 1117541 – Fix and run xpcshell tests for the provider
  • Fixed: 1120163 – Warning: Property contained reference to invalid variable
  • Fixed: 1120258 – Saving an item in the event dialog fails with MODIFICATION_FAILED if the item has been modified elsewhere
  • Fixed: 1120669 – Details button in imipBar is not always reset
  • Fixed: 1121156 – Converting to event broken for locales without an alphabet
  • Fixed: 1121373 – “Other month” day label in month view have a different color
  • Fixed: 1121415 – Replace timezones.sqlite with a non-binary format
  • Fixed: 1123088 – Label for calendar alarm preview button should be “play”
  • Fixed: 1123207 – Sea Monkey Calendar has disappeared
  • Fixed: 1124152 – Move shims from gdataUtils to shim/ subdirectory
  • Fixed: 1124154 – Wait for parsing to complete before completing synchronization
  • Fixed: 1124640 – Excessive drop-downs and other widths in Lightning’s options – Calendar pane tabs
  • Fixed: 1126338 – Cannot create Google event with addItem() with attendees and no organizer
  • Fixed: 1127247 – Typo in timezone JSON property
  • Fixed: 1128105 – Meeting Accept/Decline buttons not appearing on incoming meeting invitations
  • Fixed: 1128258 – Error in attendee invitation dialog
  • Fixed: 1128293 – TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | xpcshell-icaljs.ini:calendar/test/unit/test_alarmservice.js | test_addItems – [test_addItems : 12] false == true
  • Fixed: 1129094 – [Error: ics-service doesn’t recognize own tzid: floating] [TypeError: aComponent is null] in calTimezoneService.js
  • Fixed: 1129857 – Update timezones to 2015a
  • Fixed: 1130841 – Fix the TodayLabel color for systemcolors
  • Fixed: 1130902 – Notifications are not sent when modifying events

Sunbird will no longer be actively developed by the Calendar team.

Windows builds Official Windows

Linux builds Official Linux (i686), Official Linux (x86_64)

Mac builds Official Mac

Categorieën: Mozilla-nl planet

Rumbling Edge - Thunderbird: 2015-02-15 Thunderbird comm-central builds

Thunderbird - ma, 16/02/2015 - 08:21

Thunderbird-specific: (27)

  • Fixed: 325458 – Recipient Autocomplete: Nickname does not get highest precedence for matching address book entries, for searchphrase==nickname [To, CC, addressing field/area, toplisted, priority, results]
  • Fixed: 526429 – Theme preview should be made branding-aware or branding-agnostic
  • Fixed: 588759 – Make sure status bar messages have proper punctuation
  • Fixed: 742248 – Cannot scroll message window from the input area
  • Fixed: 790539 – Participant list does not update properly while chat tab is inactive
  • Fixed: 926181 – Thunderbird 24 OSX freezes on startup with profile on network drive (AFP)
  • Fixed: 986978 – Add Data Choices Tab to preferences, with GUI option to enable/disable Crash Reporter
  • Fixed: 1084653 – Recipient autocomplete: Increase maximum default number of result entries immediately visible in dropdown from current limit of 4 contacts
  • Fixed: 1085382 – unable to create the phishing warden: [Exception… “Not enough arguments [nsIUrlListManager.registerTable]” nsresult: “0x80570001 (NS_ERROR_XPC_NOT_ENOUGH_ARGS)” location: “JS frame :: file:///REF-OBJ-DIR/objdir-tb3/dist/bin/components/nsPhishingProtec
  • Fixed: 1100330 – ReferenceError: reference to undefined property this._actualWorker in gloda/indexer.js
  • Fixed: 1108251 – Review styling for threadpane icons/columns on all platforms
  • Fixed: 1113863 – Windows 7 Debug failing all tests | Exception: Sorry, cannot connect to jsbridge extension, port 24242
  • Fixed: 1117060 – remove deprecated let expressions in comm-central
  • Fixed: 1117496 – The Chat toolbar don’t use the inverted icons on dark LW-themes
  • Fixed: 1117526 – Selected tab shows bottom border when using LW-theme
  • Fixed: 1118395 – “create filter from message” message header context menu for non-address should trigger only for right click
  • Fixed: 1120136 – C-C: mailnews/local/src/nsPop3Sink.{h,cpp} variable m_inboxOutputStream is no longer used.
  • Fixed: 1120179 – [in-content preferences] orange stripe is missing on main navigation
  • Fixed: 1120181 – [in-content preferences] jumping icon when switching preference category
  • Fixed: 1120183 – [in-content preferences] titles of subcategories are underlined, not in Firefox
  • Fixed: 1121107 – Consider patching mozmill to be able to run in the mozharness virtualenv
  • Fixed: 1121143 – onFolderRemovedFromQ “canceled” undefined (wrong scope)
  • Fixed: 1121566 – TEST-UNEXPECTED-FAIL | dom/presentation/tests/xpcshell/test_presentation_device_manager.js | xpcshell return code: 0
  • Fixed: 1124736 – Move PREF_JS_EXPORTS to moz.build in c-c
  • Fixed: 1126859 – comm-central compilation error: ‘PL_DHashTableLookup’ was not declared in this scope, etc.
  • Fixed: 1127199 – getValidRFC5322Date returns wrong date in some instances.
  • Fixed: 1133022 – Error: …\installer\package-manifest:151: Missing file(s): bin/components/imgicon.xpt

MailNews Core-specific: (22)

  • Fixed: 479823 – archive filter rules: when Archive function is used a special set of filters marked to activate at ‘Archive time’ should be invoked, not the built-in archive function
  • Fixed: 498814 – “Compact Folder” silently fails and deletes .msf, if mail folder file is opened by other software (in the worst case, generates null mail folder file or deletes mail folder file)
  • Fixed: 558659 – Support IMAP LIST SPECIAL-USE (RFC 6154) to autoconfigure Sent, Trash, Draft folders on IMAP servers
  • Fixed: 675448 – “Save as …” multiple mails fails because of long pathnames and doesn’t notice the user
  • Fixed: 771643 – deleting or moving messages doesn’t delete messages from the filesystem when using Maildir Lite(IMAP. No way to expunge/delete files under cur as offline-store file when maildirstore, because “Compact” is completely killed by maldirstore even though IMAP)
  • Fixed: 847183 – After new account has been added in the account manager, it doesn’t show up there until closing and reopening it, only directly visible in folder pane
  • Fixed: 854798 – Compacting Berkeley Mbox file changes messageKey (to new MsgOffset after compact), causing dataloss/privacy problems (bug 817245 / bug 799450, bug 766495) due to current design problem of MsgKey=MsgOffset (for Berkeley Mbox files)
  • Fixed: 894012 – convert expungedBytes to 64bit
  • Fixed: 912216 – Temporarily disable CONDSTORE support for many “GMail IMAP + Thunderbird/SeaMonkey” users
  • Fixed: 934170 – mozilla/mach xpcshell-test does not work for comm-central
  • Fixed: 964024 – mozTXTToHTMLConv should never convert content inside <style>, <script>, <head> tags
  • Fixed: 1113275 – Make tests dependent on imapPump work with maildir
  • Fixed: 1117199 – reset mailnews.send_default_charset and mailnews.view_default_charset if they had values no longer supported
  • Fixed: 1118027 – fix some compile warnings in compose/src/nsMsgSend.cpp
  • Fixed: 1120067 – RSS (2.0?) feeds not updating and not being added.
  • Fixed: 1121482 – Remove PL_DHashTableOperate from comm-central
  • Fixed: 1121488 – port changes from bug 1120476 and bug 1121304 to comm-central
  • Fixed: 1122346 – Check if draft message is in db before deleting
  • Fixed: 1123117 – fixIterator should support for-of iteration
  • Fixed: 1124118 – Follow up nsIProgressEventSink.onProgress and nsITransport.onTransportStatus changes by bug 1116867
  • Fixed: 1125672 – PROCESS-CRASH | mailnews/imap/test/unit/test_mailboxes.js | application crashed [@ nsWeakReference::Release()]
  • Fixed: 1132271 – Port bug 1001332 to comm-beta to allow xp to work in Thunderbird beta 36

Windows builds Official Windows, Official Windows installer

Linux builds Official Linux (i686), Official Linux (x86_64)

Mac builds Official Mac

Categorieën: Mozilla-nl planet

Meeting Notes: Thunderbird: 2015-02-10

Thunderbird - wo, 11/02/2015 - 05:00

Thunderbird meeting notes 2015-02-10. Previous meetings: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/StatusMeetings#Meeting_Notes

Attendees

aceman, cloep, florian, jcranmer, Jorg K, mkmelin, Paneglab, rkent, Roland, sshagarwal, wsmwk, MakeMyDay

Action items from last meetings
  • wsmwk to get in touch with Standard8 re: beta.
    • done – bkerensa and sylvestre are on it
  • rkent to work with Standard8 (and Fallen) on issues of 1.management of tracking flags and 2. pushing into aurora and beta for TB 38. (meeting generally agreed that mkmelin and rkent would be appropriate to manage pushing patches forward into aurora and beta).
Critical Issues

Critical bugs. Please leave these here until they’re confirmed fixed.

  • Auto-complete improvements – some of those could go into esr31

Release Issues

  • Current beta blocked due to Windows XP failures. rkent has try server configuration that can test a beta build, and will try Standard8’s suggestions.
Upcoming
  • Thunderbird 38 moves to Earlybird ~ February 24, 2015

We need people to commit to being mentors.

Lightning to Thunderbird Integration

See https://calendar.etherpad.mozilla.org/thunderbird-integration

  • As underpass has pointed out repeatedly (thanks for your patience!) , we need to rewrite / heavily modify the lightning articles on support.mozilla.org. let me know irc: rolandtanglao on #tb-support-crew or rtanglao AT mozilla.com OR simply start editing the articles
Round Table JosiahOne
  • So I started a new job recently, but because of that plus school, my time for TB stuff is very, very low. I will continue doing ui-reviews and reviews, but implementing anything has pretty much come to an end until summer break.
wsmwk
  • release management https://etherpad.mozilla.org/XxBwrpMHKz
  • disable HWA for 38? it has been suggested by someone in support to disable because “3d acceleration … does little or nothing for Thunderbird but messes menus, font and causes crashes (the kind with no crash reporter reports).” bug 1131879
rkent
  • Hot bugs
    • bug 1125577 – startup crash in NSSCryptoContext_FindCertificateByEncodedCertificate (and similar bug 1128614)
    • bug 1124015 – Add UI to select maildir for storage when creating accounts
    • bug 1119529 – Sending message succeeds but Error “error while running message filters on it.”
  • Unfortunately a long review queue that I will be looking at for the next few days.
  • I now have access to Thunderbird ADI data. Our ADI reached a new peak last month (in spite of SlashDot assuming “Thunderbird usage is dropping”) and Japan has now surpassed US as #2 country (after Germany).
jcranmer
  • Hopefully going to work down my review queue by this weekend
  • Main jsmime perf regression fixes are r? rkent
  • I have a non-promisified version of OAuth2, but still no UI hookup
  • Mozharness-based mozmill tests: I’ve updated the runner, need to make updates to three or four repositories to make it work
    • Trying to get this in progress for Thunderbird 38, so we don’t need to maintain the old mozmill buildbot stuff for ESR
  • I’ve been doing some work with the emailjs team to add functionality to their SMTP libraries (specifically with regards to SASL) that we could share between TB/Whiteout.io/Gaia email teams.
TheOne Jorg K

I have an XP machine (32 bit), I could run (not build) and debug (with WinDbg) the beta, if that’s of any help. I’d need to know where do download it … and the mentioned suggestions to try. (Contact via e-mail to start off).

mkmelin
  • autocomplete:
    • the critical regressions fixed
    • 3 prominent complaints still not done: the “tab too quickly doesn’t complete”, “show as red even if found”, “insert link missing paste url in context menu”
    • ordering: now landed on esr, some complaints still, need to investigate
Question Time

I’d like to know what happened to the “Thunderbird Discussions with Mozilla”, ie. the letter that was meant to be sent to the Mozilla management, re. funding, donations, staffing, etc. There was a lively discussion on the tb-planning mailing list in early January 2015.

  • won’t happen before 38 branching
Support team
  • As underpass has pointed out, we need to rewrite all the Lightning articles, they are out of date whether or not we finish the integration for TB 38. email me or irc roland or just edit the articles (see above under “Lightning to Thunderbird integration”. Tonnes do you have time to write some of these Lightning articles in English?
Other
  • Note – meeting notes must be copied from etherpad to wiki before 5AM CET next day so that they will go public in the meeting notes blog.

(Extra) Meeting next Tuesday, Feb 17.

Action Items

-none-

Retrieved from “https://wiki.mozilla.org/index.php?title=Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2015-02-10&oldid=1055270

Categorieën: Mozilla-nl planet

Bryan Clark: If writing is a muscle

Thunderbird - di, 10/02/2015 - 08:07

I haven’t been to the gym in a long time.

David Eaves, a person I have immense amounts of respect for, has been using a tag line related to this title/intro on his blog for quite a while, probably longer than I’ve known him.  And I honestly never gave much thought to the idea that writing really is a muscle until recently. I’ve taken a break from being a designer (or a programmer) to work as a product manager for over a year now. Designing and coding require a set of skills I’m very familiar with, code is an interpretive language that people use to communicate with each other about the details of commands they issue a computer. While design is a more visual language of storytelling, heavily using imagery and some text to convey the journey of a user to the team intent on correctly interacting with that user.  Both pursuits are about communication but each uses written language in a very different way.  As a product manager I’m forced to lean on my skills as a writer and I don’t think I had much in the way of skills previously but whatever bedridden muscles have been dormant are reawakening as I realize how young and foolish I really was to ignore this essential form of communication.

I’m hoping there is more to come, perhaps starting with some tech posts about recent projects while I try to grapple with this idea of writing more than a tweet.

Categorieën: Mozilla-nl planet

Pagina's