Mozilla Nederland LogoDe Nederlandse

Hacks.Mozilla.Org: Create VR on the Web using Unity3D

Mozilla planet - to, 15/02/2018 - 18:13

We are happy to announce our latest tool by Mozilla, Unity WebVR Assets. It is free to download and available now on the Unity Asset Store. This tool allows creators to publish and share VR experiences they created in Unity on the open web, with a simple URL or link. These experiences can then be viewed with any WebVR enabled browser such as Firefox (using the Oculus Rift or HTC VIVE) and Microsoft Edge (using a Windows Mixed Reality headset).

Try it out now!

With the release of these assets, we hope to bridge the frictionless distribution, ease of use and accessibility of the Web with the best-in-class content creation tools from Unity.  We believe this is a great fit for demos, marketing, news content, and any case where traditional application flows may be too time-consuming or troublesome for users.

Since the assets utilize the standards-based WebVR API, it removes the need for any platform specific SDKs and provides the ability to be responsive to different VR configurations. This enables the creation of experiences that can scale to different requirements, including everything from basic, desktop-based, non-VR environments (for example, using first-person-shooter-style controls) to fully immersive, room-scale, and motion-controlled VR configurations (for the HTC VIVE, Oculus Rift, and Windows Mixed Reality headsets).

Using the WebVR Assets

Getting started couldn’t be easier! From within Unity, launch the Asset Store and search for WebVR to find the WebVR Assets package.

WebVR assets in action porting a Unity game to WebVR.

For full instructions on how to use these assets with your content, check out the Getting Started Guide.

We want to hear from you

We’d love to hear about what you come up with using the WebVR-Assets. Share your work with us by using the #unitywebvr Twitter hashtag.

The Unity WebVR Assets is an open-source project (licensed under Apache 2) available on GitHub:

You are encouraged to:

Reach out to us with any questions you may have or help you may need, and participate in the discussions on the WebVR Slack in the #unity channel.


This project was heavily influenced by early explorations in using Unity to build for WebVR by @gtk2k.

Also, thanks to @arturitu for creating the 3D-hand models used for controllers in these examples.

Categorieën: Mozilla-nl planet

Mozilla Reps Community: Reps On-boarding Team

Mozilla planet - to, 15/02/2018 - 17:57

As you already know from our discourse topic, we have created an Onboarding Screening Team.

The scope of this team is to help on evaluating the new applications to the Reps program by helping the Reps Council on this process.

In January we opened a call for the new team members on

We were happily surprised with the number of applications we’ve got.

After a month the Reps Council has voted and has chosen the new members. Those are:

On behalf of the Reps Council (and part of this team) I want to say thank you to the previous team that worked on 9 rounds of screening with evaluation of 39 applications.

These amazing people are:

The new team will start to work soon (we have about 10 applications in queue) with the help of a Reps Council Member that will be focused on communications between applicants and the evaluation of this team.

If you want to congratulate your fellows Reps you can do it in this thread:

More updates are coming so stay tuned!

Categorieën: Mozilla-nl planet

Air Mozilla: Reps Weekly Meeting, 15 Feb 2018

Mozilla planet - to, 15/02/2018 - 17:00

Reps Weekly Meeting This is a weekly call with some of the Reps to discuss all matters about/affecting Reps and invite Reps to share their work with everyone.

Categorieën: Mozilla-nl planet